BenQ XL2411 and 1024x768?

Hello guys,

I play CS:GO and only recently returned to the game from a LONG break. This means last I played 1024x768 was where it is at, so I would like to get that going as well. I see some pros also do the same thing, so it must come from previous preference rather than anything else. I just want that reduced FOV and less width to increase focus.

When I set 1024x768 in the game, everything is completely unplayable. Text can barely be read in the menus and it is next to possible to see anything in game. It all seems blurry and extremely pixelated.

I assume I need to get all settings right across the monitor OSD, windows, game, nvidia control panel and my blur busters utility.

Can someone with a similar screen help me how you made it look good? I’ve seen pros play live with the exact same monitor on 4:3 resolutions where it was completely sharp.

Hi @pandaym,
Unless you have been standing next to such pro player and then he/she let you use his setup, I am fairly sure you are wrong about this or it was “native 4:3” resolution.

If you have seen it in a video, then in my opinion it was an illusion due to the fact the camera was not as close to the screen as your eyes would be while playing and therefore it did not look as blurry and pixelated as it is in real life.

If you choose 1024x768 as your in-game resolution, your GPU will then display it on your screen according to your Nvidia Control Panel settings.

If your selected scalling mode was:

• No scalling - you would see your game as 1024px x 768px rectangle on your screen. It would not be stretched in any axis.
  • Full screen - you would see your game stretched in both axis, taking the entire space of your screen which means 1024px x 768px would be stretched to take as much space as your screen’s native resolution would take. BenQ XL2411’s native resolution is 1920x1080, therefore every single pixel of 1024 pixels would be stretched 1,875 times to fill 1920 pixels of X-axis and every single pixel of 768 pixels would be stretched 1,40625 times to fill 1080 pixels of Y-axis.
  • Aspect ratio - you would see your game stretched in both axis with 4:3 aspect ratio kept which means it would be stretched to take as much space as 1440x1080 resolution would take. Every single pixel of 1024 pixels would be stretched 1,40625 times to fill 1440 pixels of X-axis and every single pixel of 768 pixels would be stretched 1,40625 times to fill 1080 pixels of Y-axis.

If you are wondering where 1440x1080 is coming from, we can call it a native 4:3 resolution for FullHD displays and it comes from simple math.

We know that we are looking for 4:3 resolution which will keep our Y-axis resolution. Therefore, we know that:
3x = 1080px
x = 1080px / 3
x = 360px

Since the aspect ratio is 4:3, we know that our X-axis will be 4x.
4 × 360px = 1440px

OR

x / 1080px = 4 / 3
x = (4 × 1080px) / 3
x = 4320px / 3
x = 1440px

To sum it up, it is not possible to get completely sharp image with 1024x768 in-game resolution unless you are using a display which native Y-axis resolution equals 768px. If you are using FullHD display, 1024x768 resolution will be stretched unless you set No scalling which I do not think is something you want since the view of the game will be very small.

If you want to have reduced FOV, but at the same time you want to have image quality of FullHD resolution, you need to create a custom resolution like 1440x1080 (4:3) or 1728x1080 (16:10).

If you do not know how to do that, please google “Nvidia Custom Resolution” and I am sure you will find some helpfull guidelines.

As far as I know there are some issues with this feature in the latest Nvidia drivers, you can add a custom resolution, but it will disappear after PC restart. You can create it again anytime tho.

If you have any questions, please let me know.